home             reading         contact

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Zak told me the writing on this site was tiny, and I told him that it was the same size as a book, and that he was hallucinating, and various other hyperbolic things.

On my old computer, the one affectionately known as 'the heap of junk', the writing was indeed the size of the writing in a book. This was because, for reasons unknown to technically-incompetent me, the heap of junk defaulted to having enormous writing, mostly on web pages. I never tried to track down the problem more than half-heartedly, as I'm a disorganised ADD chick who never knows where her glasses are (either pair - so much for having a second pair solving the problem ...), and my life was made easier by large-print web-pages.

But here I am, in possession of a shiny new(ish) iBook (it's so pretty), and I can only say that Zak was wrong when he said the writing here was tiny.

It's fucking miniscule.

It's not the same size as any book I've ever seen. It's even smaller than the writing in my copy of War and Peace (something I never thought I'd say!), which was published in paperback in some obscure region of the former USSR where paper must be heavily rationed, as they've managed to cut the book down to a mere 1038 pages by printing it in about size 2 font. They should provide the damn thing with a magnifying glass (there's sand in the former USSR, right? Glass would be cheap there?). If I ever meet the publishers of that book, I'm going to club them to death with it. The summer I read War and Peace was boring and painful enough without having to squint to read every boring word -- but that's a story for another day.

Please note that when I say 'former USSR', in this case I think I might mean Britain. But I'm not going to go get the book and check, and former USSR has far more dramatic impact anyway, so let's leave it at that.

Anyhow, I do intend to change the size of the writing here back to something I can read, but maybe not til the weekend.

Until then, hang tight, and perhaps consider investing in Yugoslavian magnifying glasses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home