home             reading         contact

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

There is some serious God Squad action happening on campus today.

I've been wandering around a little more today than I usually do -- I think I may have a path worn from my front door to my carrel on level 8 of Fisher Library -- since I've had to go to a couple of branch libraries, but I've passed easily half-a-dozen people handing out tracts, and gone past two full-on God Squad encampments.

The first one is set up where the circus guys normally are, and they've got a tent and beanbags, and are offering hot dogs and free drinks. They're apparently from Hillsong church, which is a bright-lights-and-big-bucks Christian cult from the outer suburbs of Sydney.

The second one is set up behind the geology building, and seemed to be modelling themselves on a revival meeting. There was a pastor up the front with a microphone, and he was passing it around the audience. The girl that was testifying as I walked by was a mumbler, though, so I didn't hear anything interesting. I do think that interesting things might be heard by lurking behind the big, white tent they had set up in a corner, with a big sign advertising 'Confessions'. They also had a big sign up saying 'Christweek' (sic), so that may explain the Hillsongers on the other side of campus, too.

I find this really odd, since we've already had one God Week at USyd this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home