home             reading         contact

Monday, October 24, 2005

I've really been meaning to pull together some writing to put up here, but I've been utterly snowed under with end-of-uni stuff. A measure of how snowed under I am with uni is that, for the first time in my life, writing is starting to feel like a chore. I dislike this feeling, and look forward to it going away. I write a lot, and didn't realise until now just how much structure my writing time (for me, not for uni) imparts to my otherwise unstructured life.

I finish coursework forever on November 4th (extended from October 31, an extension I'm in two minds about), and I promise that regularly scheduled activity will resume then.

A highlight may include the utterly surreal conversation I had in the first stages of trying to organise a hens' night from 300km away. This may, but is unlikely to, include Strippers On Ice. The ice is not my idea. My suggestion (of strippers, obviously) was met with inexplicable horror.

Instead of writing to relax, then, I've been knitting instead - Christmas things, mostly - but I did experiment today with felting knitted objects. I dug out my slightly warped Dresden Dolls logo and spent an instructive hour or so sitting in my bathtub splashing hot water around. The good news? It came out well, and is now small enough to be pinned to a bag. The bad news is that the felting process seems to require more than that one instructive hour, which was all I had to hand, and so I'm going to have to go back to it later.

I've come to the conclusion that felting is a lot of fun (how many times do you get told to ignore everything you've ever been told about washing wool?), but that, given the amount of hot water, and thus steam, involved, it's not a hobby for muggy early-summer days. That said, I'm not sure when one should do that, because I wound up very, very wet from splashing water around, and I'm not sure that's a good idea for hot days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home